CURCUMIN IN DENTISTRY
- There are many uses of Turmeric in Dentistry.
- The use of Plants and Herbs for Dental Care is a very common indigenous system of medicine and we must include it in our everyday life.
- Almost as potent as the Chlorhexidine Gulconate irrigation, 1% Curcumin irrigation has been as effective and potent as Chlorhexidine Gluconate in inhibiting the growth of oral bacteria.
- Curcumin can decrease Alveolar Bone Loss occurrence in Periodontitis.
- Curcumin prevents adherence of Streptococcus Mutans to the gums and tooth surface, thereby preventing Plaque formation and inhibiting dental Caries.
- Efficient absorption of the curcumin has been observed through mucosal lining of oral cavity.
- Curcumin undergoes "first pass effect" and hence oral cavity route is desired.
- Due to high "first pass effect" upon oral consumption, mouth dissolving pastilles of curcumin is desirable. It slowly dissolves and curcumin is absorbed in blood stream through oral / buccal mucosa.